Saturday, April 19, 2008

When Hollywood Was Part of America

I have mentioned before that my father was a huge influence on the person I am. (That's right Dad, we all blame you. lol)

When I was a little nard, my father owned a television sales and service shop in my home town. Mom worked in an office, so my brother and I spent our afternoons and summer days in Dad's store.

Imagine the sensory overload when there are rough 20 televisions, all with cable, all turned on at one time or another. It was alot.

We usually ended up watching TBS, WGN or ESPN, though at that time in history, ESPN really only played professional rodeo and ARF (Australian Rules Football, and what a game that is.)

As you can guess I grew up watching Abbot and Costello, Martin and Lewis, Hope and Crosby, The Marx Brothers and the Three Stooges. I could actually recite the entire Who's on First routine at the age of 10.

I also watched alot of westerns, both TV series and movies. I still enjoy the occasional episode of Bonanza or the Rifleman. For movies you really should check out Support Your Local Gunfighter or Support Your Local Sheriff starring James Garner. You also can't go wrong with ANYTHING starring The Duke...John Wayne...

That being said, I was not surprised to see an attachment to an email with a clip of John Wayne and Dean Martin. Imagine my surprise to see it was a clip with John Wayne talking about what he wanted for his new daughter and not from a film.

To put this in context, this would have been during Vietnam, but I can totally relate to everything he has to say. I would like alot of the same things for all of my kids.

Enjoy. I know I did.

Tole

2 comments:

JPG said...

That was great! Thanks for passng it along, Tole. Somehow, I'd missed seeing this one.

JPG

Brandon said...

It's a shame that Hollywood as gone so totally off the deep end. There are but a few of them who don't toe the liberal, it's-all-America's-fault line. Bruce Willis comes immediately to mind, and there are a couple others. Given how much influence those people wield with the average folk, I wish they'd be just a little more realistic and responsible. But what can you expect of people who live completely in a world of make-believe?

By the way, I've tagged you with a book meme, if you're interested in playing.

Make It Aluminum They Said - The Finale

Started it up this morning around 10 AM and let it come up to operating temperature. So far, so good. Decided I needed to road test it to ma...